FAQS (Fire Department)

Do I need a burning permit, and how can I get one?
Depending on your location and other factors, you may be required by law to obtain a burning permit before doing open burning. Burning permits are not issued locally, and you must contact the North Carolina Forest Service to obtain your permit. The Forest Service website includes information to help you decide if a permit is necessary in your situation. You may also contact the Denton Volunteer Fire Department, if you need assistance or have questions.

How can I become a volunteer fire fighter for the Denton Volunteer Fire Department?
A Message From The Chief: If you would like to come and be a part of this great organization, and become part of our family, I would love to talk with you. Volunteer applications are accepted Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the fire station.

Do businesses within the Denton town limits have to provide keys to the fire department?
No. In fact, the Denton Volunteer Fire Department does not accept keys. Instead, we strongly encourage all businesses to obtain and install a Knox-Box, which will allow firefighters to access your keys when responding to an emergency at your location. The use of a Knox-Box is voluntary, but can minimize damage caused by firefighters having to enter your building forcefully if keys are not available to them. Contact the Denton Volunteer Fire Department if you have any questions.

Can the Denton Volunteer Fire Department install my car seat?
Sorry, but we do not provide that service. You can contact the North Carolina Highway patrol in Lexington for assistance. Their phone number is 336-249 -0247.

Can firefighters respond quicker if I call the fire department directly in case of emergency?
No. For emergencies, you will receive faster service by calling 911 directly.

Can fire department personnel assist me with obtaining smoke detectors, or changing my batteries?
The Denton Fire Department works in conjunction with the Red Cross to provide and install smoke detectors for those who need them. Contact the Piedmont chapter of the Red Cross for more information. Their phone number is 336-333-2111.

How can I get a copy of an Incident Report, if the fire department responds to an emergency on my property?
You may pick up a copy of an Incident Report for an emergency on your property by visiting the Denton Fire Department. Incident Reports are available between 8:30 a.m.and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Fire Department Menu


Emergency? Call 911.

101 West Newsome Avenue
Denton, NC 27239

Mailing Address
PO Box 143
Denton, NC 27239

Non-Emergency Phone

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Firefighter Employment Opportunities

Although the Denton Fire Department accepts applications for volunteer firefighter positions throughout the year, we employ a limited number of paid (part-time) firefighters. If you are seeking a paid firefighter position, you may check the Town of Denton Employment page for openings. If no paid firefighter positions are available, we encourage you to inquire at the following area fire departments to if they may have paid positions available within their organizations:

Thomasville Fire Department

Lexington Fire Department

Albemarle Fire Department